Monday, December 24, 2012

editing of Japanese white pine #2

All old needles were plucked, dead branches and stubs removed, a branch was jinned. Now the tree will have to wait until March to be wired again. I am contemplating of repotting in April. Well, then I probably should not wire it in March. Repotting is more important. It is still in the old akadama that it went in probably ten years ago. Akadama can be deadly in our climate when it freezes in winter and totally decomposes. so no wiring in March, maybe in September, if the tree looks still healthy.Most such Japanese white pines die in Germany sooner or later. I believe that one reason is that they arrive planted in akadama and nobody dares to remove it. The other reason is that they need iron and other rare minerals which are not readily available in normal fee. I do extra feeding with iron and super-nutrients. Thus the foliage becomes very green after having been yellowish before. We'll see - I will report.